By: Leonora Epstein
As tOld By tHE dELiA’s CAtALoG.
1996 was quite the year for tween and teen fashion. Sweaters were large enough to swallow pre-pubescent boys, cargo pockets abounded, and patterns were barfy. Nevertheless, we can only seem to look back on this period with fondness. And thanks to I Heart the ’90s, you can remember all of it in vivid detail…
1. Sweaters with Nordic patterns. You know, to channel your Scandinavian ice princess roots.
3. Boots with just the right amount of chunk.
4. Snowboarder sweaters so oversized, you’d be swimming in them.
5. Adidas knock-off track pants. (No need to change for gym class!)
6. Goddamned sweater vests.
7. Overalls. Good god, overalls.
8. Baggy corduroys. (Oh, and those tanks…millions of them.)
9. Flannel PJ sets aka Saturday daywear.
10. Knit winter accessories, much stripes.
11. Watch rings. ‘Cause wrists were so passé in ‘96.
12. Flower hair clips. Middle part mandatory.
13. Puffy vests. Oh so puffy.
14. Mailman pants. (WHY?)
15. Empire waist dresses from Cher Horowitz’s lower-priced, discount closet.
16. Baggy pajama pants that you thought were OK to wear to school. Sigh. Memories.